Thursday, December 20, 2012

Mosquito Lagoon at Night - Tandem in the Big Tuna Jackson Kayak

who: My kayak angler buddy Justin called me and said he wanted to hit the lagoon at night time (Wednesday Dec. 19th). He couldn't get his kayak on the water so he asked me if I would mind going tandem in the Big Tuna.  I have not had a chance to hit a lake with my wife in the Jackson Big Tuna yet so I figured this would be a great opportunity to see how this boat performs with another experienced angler.  I did not feel like moving the seat holders from solo mode (since Im generally by myself) so that meant the front seat was in the "face time" position.  In addition to us we ended up meeting up with Chuck and Pepi at the put-in.

conditions: There was pretty much no wind at all and the current was just about nonexistent for most of the night.  We were on the water from about 7:30pm until about 1:00am

bait/lure: live shrimp

After slow drifting and working an area typically known to produce a bunch of us had our bait taken but spit out a few times.  By the time we packed up and left (after about 4 hours) Pepi and I both caught some dirty sail cats with Chuck catching one redfish and Justin was the real winner of the night catching two pretty big redfish (pictures below next paragraph).

thoughts on the Jackson Big Tuna in Tandem:  Since we were in the face time position only one of us could effectively paddle at a time.  This was actually good to know because now when I go with my wife Ally I for sure intend to only bring one paddle.  Additionally access to the live well would be pretty much impossible to the front person if they are facing forward. Other then that the boat paddled pretty well with the two of us, Id say between us and our gear plus the live well filled we had close to 430-440 pounds in the boat(maybe more).    Im real curious to try this boat in regular tandem but I was pleased with how it went in the facetime position.  I will probably post a more in depth facetime tandem review with pictures when I go out with my wife on a lake.

Justin's first Red of the night in the Jackson Big Tuna.
Check out that Bigfin Apparel performance shirt

Justin's second Red of the night in the Jackson Kayak
Big Tuna





No comments:

Post a Comment