Sunday, December 30, 2012

Freshwater bass fishing tandem in the Jackson Kayak Big Tuna


Took out the Big Tuna with my wife and daughter to do some freshwater bass fishing.  I was real curious how well it would handle with both my wife and daughter in the front area with the live well filled with bait fish.

Was a great time between just hanging out and watching my daughter feed crumpled up crackers to the shad and minnows in the live well.  With no holes drilled in the live well area the bait fish stayed alive for the entire trip, I wasnt really keeping track but at least a couple hours.  There were about 1 dozen plus medium shad and 2 dozen minnows.  I really need to get around to putting the holes in the live well.

bait/lure: mostly live shad and threw a slayer SSB occasionally.

conditions: slightly windy nothing difficult to paddle against maybe 5mph, pretty chilly about 50-60 degrees

Ally and Averie with a Bass

Me with a Bass

Overall Ive been pretty impressed with how this boat handles in the face time tandem setup.  I bring one paddle with me when the boat is setup like this so that there is only one paddle to manage in the kayak.    With just me paddling it is pretty easy to maneuver the kayak and get it up to a decent speed with someone up front.  The kayak also stays surprisingly loose which is great for handling with someone up front.  In addition to me paddling in the back at about 200 pounds I have had an up front passenger that weighs 150lbs and also 190lbs.  Im not sure what the combined weight of my wife and daughter were and no, Im not going to ask.... haha.






1 comment: